Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Do not procrastinate: Participate!

I have been teaching my Take 5 to Exercise fall risk reduction exercise class for the City of Sacramento for the past 3 years.  I have been working with a core group of residents at Atria El Camino Gardens for 2 out of those 3 years.  
As a result, my regulars are an extremely fit group of older adults.  In fact, they can do some of the exercises with their eyes closed!  Haha, of course we practice some movements with eyes closed to challenge the other sensory systems involved in balance!
Today we had another new comer.  After a quick assessment, I realized that our newcomer lacks both endurance and confidence.  I encouraged her to work at her own pace and continually reminded her that the other members of the group are so fit because some have been coming to class twice a week for nearly two years.  Regardless of how long they've been in the program, they all have been consistent with their exercises and they all have significantly improved their strength, flexibility, endurance, posture, and balance.
My message is this:  DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!!!  Get involved in a fall risk reduction program today.  Start moving!  If you do not have a way to get to a group class, you can stretch and flex those muscles from a seated position in the comforts of your home while watching an exercise video series.
Order my Take 5 to Exercise fall risk reduction program and learn how to make movement a part of your daily routine.
The Fall Prevention Lady

No comments: