Sunday, November 29, 2009

Fall Prevention Clinic of America?

Talk about specialized niche: I am a fall prevention exercise instructor. I'm not sure how I chose this path but I have been studying the importance of preventative screening and early detection since my undergraduate studies at West Chester University. On the west coast, I am studying exercises that are designed to reduce the risk of a fall. I think I'm a little ahead of my time with my specialty so you can imagine my surprise when I read about the Fall Prevention Clinic of America! Yes, in the Heartland (Illinois), there are clinics that specialize in the early detection of vestibular and balance disorders!

Dr. Debra Rose's FallProof program, one of the top 7 fall prevention programs in the country, stresses the early detection and thorough assessment of older adults who have fallen or are concerned about falling. In fact, the Fullerton Advanced Balance (FAB) scale is a 10-item test designed to identify system weakness and impairment. I have been implementing the FAB within the Sacramento region and although I'm not a doctor, I am trained to recognize a systemic impairment. While testing, I have identified at least a dozen older adults who may have vestibular disorder and have referred them appropriately.

In this month's Aging Well newsletter, Flagging Falls By Jennifer Mellace Aging Well Vol. 2 No. 5 P. 10, talks about the body systems involved in balance, including the vestibular system, and the importance of preventative screening and early detection. There are 4-5 fitness tests that a properly trained professional can conduct in order to identify impairment. Things deteriorate as we age and the "use it or lose it" theory applies to just about every body system, especially our balance skills.

The good news is that consistent activity can deter further degeneration and even improve symptoms and conditions. Falls are accidents and although they are associated with growing older, they are not a normal part of the aging process: the risk can be reduced. The number one way to reduce your risk of a fall is to stay active. Remember to Take 5 to Exercise each day!

No comments: