Thursday, February 16, 2012

Take 5 to Exercise Resistance Band Staff Training

During my gerontology internship with the Area 4 Agency on Aging (A4AA), I developed a series of seated fall prevention exercise routines called Take 5 to Exercise. I researched and designed routines of stretching and strengthening movements that are easy to do and when followed regularly, can reduce the risk of an accidental fall. The A4AA still uses the stretching cards that I designed in 2006.

Older adults need lean muscle mass in order to remain independent. Lean muscle mass is developed and maintained by participating in consistent strength training exercises. As part of my internship, I researched and developed easy-to-do strength training routines that can be done anywhere by using a resistance band. Although I developed pictorial cards to demonstrate these seated strengthening movements, the A4AA has only been using the stretching cards. Until now!

In April, I will be doing a staff training for the A4AA to explain and demonstrate basic seated strengthening movements using a resistance band that will reduce the risk of an accidental fall and help keep older adults independent in their homes. I am looking forward to training the staff how to train older adults in basic strengthening movements. Sarcopenia is the natural loss of muscle mass associated with the aging process. The rate of muscle loss is exasperated by inactivity. In other words, USE IT OR LOSE IT. The less you do, the quicker you will lose strength.

Get moving. Get active. Stay strong. I produced a DVD series, Take 5 to Exercise, that demonstrates seated exercise routines designed to increase strength and flexibility and improve posture. All from the comfort of your home!

Just do it!

No comments: