Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Therapeutic recreation and fall prevention exercise

Today I visited the Easter Seals Therapeutic Recreation services department to talk about seated fall risk reduction exercises.  Therapeutic recreation uses recreation and leisure to help people living with disabilities function independently and enjoy life.  No matter what physical challenges a person may be facing, bodily movement is necessary for a quality life.  
Some individuals who are living with a disability have mobility issues which places them at an increased risk of falling.  I am not a physical therapist, I am not a doctor but I am a certified personal fitness trainer and I am an expert in the aging process and the bodily changes that are associated with aging.  Because older adults experience mobility challenges, I was confident that my Take 5 to Exercise Basic 5 stretches were appropriate for everyone in the room.  
Every body benefits from flexibility movements.  Every body adapts to strength training.  Every body needs balance training and every body could use endurance training.  However, every body is different and some bodies have special needs.  The important thing is to respect your body's limitations and do what you can, challenging yourself without pain.  And mostly, do something you enjoy!   Take 5 to Exercise everyday!
The Fall Prevention Lady

No comments: