Monday, December 6, 2010

Master of Science in Special Major....

It's been a long semester but my thesis was approved by the Office of Graduate Studies at CSUS! With academic approval, I created a Special Major by combining the studies of Gerontology and Therapeutic Recreation. I call this specialized field of study "Therapeutic Aging".
Gerontology fueled my passion for working with older adults and Therapeutic Recreation (TR) built on my undergraduate Public Health degree. Similar to Public Health, TR encourages living a healthy lifestyle in order to prevent disease and minimize disability. TR also appreciates people with special needs and Gerontology appreciates the special needs of older adults.
As a former personal fitness trainer, I have further specialized my area of expertise to the area of fall prevention exercise. I am a certified FallProof™ balance and mobility instructor and just completed a 12-week research study on Dr. Rose's home-based DVD program, FallProof™ at Home (FAH). I am preparing to teach community-based FallProof™ classes in the local Sacramento region.
My research study is completed. The thesis is written and accepted. I graduate on December 18th with a Master of Science in Therapeutic Aging. I envision myself joining a group of professionals who specialize in working with older adults in a preventative manner. In addition to humility and a willingness to learn, I have a multitude of skills plus years of experience to bring to the table. I am confident that the possibilities are endless.
What a relief. Praise the Lord.
The Fall Prevention Lady,
aka, Master in the House!

No comments: