Friday, May 18, 2012

Need to improve your stability? Go to home base!

I want you to think about something.   Where is all your weight when you are "just standing there?  
Do you....
  • Shift all your weight to one leg
  • Have most of your weight on your heels or on your toes? 
  • Are you equally balanced on both feet? 
There's a place I call homebase and this is the safest place to be whether you are sitting or standing.  (Yes, your homebase goes with you when you stand up!).  

Everyone has a homebase and becoming familiar with it can prevent you from falling.  I have written about this "HOMEBASE" in my new book, The Complete Guide to Fall Prevention. 

As a balance and mobility instructor, I have worked with hundreds of older adults and I believe that it is essential that you know where your homebase is and go there everytime you stand up or sit down if you want to improve your stability.

I caught myself when I was washing the dishes this weekend and I couldn't it believe where my homebase was... I was standing off balance.  And I'm the Fall Prevention Lady!

I heard it takes 66 days to form a new habit (it has gone up from the original 3 weeks that it has been for years.  Well, I guess we're a slow learners!  You want to start going to homebase today so you can prevent a fall in the future.  

Yes I want to go to homebase!  Order HERE!

No comments: