Sunday, June 3, 2012

#1 risk factor for falls among seniors

There are lots of things that can cause a person to fall.  As we get older, there are more things going on in the body that make us unsteady on our feet.  However, the number one risk factor for falls is lower body weakness.

Hips, thighs and calves get weaker and this weakness makes us less stable when standing and even more unstable when we are walking. 

Solution:  Do lower body strengthening exercises!  You don't need fancy equipment or a gym membership to get stronger.  You can build strength at home.  In my new book, "The Complete Guide to Fall Prevention", I give you simple, easy to do exercises that you can do, regardless of your current physical condition. 

My favorite exercise to have people do is the chair stand.  Dr. Mercola has a great article that supports this movement.   Check out his article here:  Dr. Mercola's article.   He calls it a squat and I call it a chair stand.  Either way, you are getting up and sitting back down. 

Order my book and learn about the different types of exercise you must do to improve balance and stability and how to do them.  My book will be available THIS WEEK for download from your computer or I will send you a copy in the mail.   Contact me to place your order:  info@thefallpreventionlady.com


No comments: