Thursday, February 28, 2013

Another Fall Prevention Workshop at Japanese United Methodist

I recently visited Sacramento on a 4-day, four fall prevention workshop extravaganza.  I was excited to visit my old stomping grounds and see some familiar faces.  My first workshop was a return visit to the active Japanese United Methodist Church in South Sacramento.  Health ministry leader Amy Kawahara invited me and made all the arrangements.  After Sunday services,  a group of twenty older adults eagerly waited for me in the gym.

I presented my dynamic 90-minute workshop and had the group doing the different types of exercise recommended to prevent a fall.   First I prepared the group by leading them through a seated warm up.  Afterward, I led them through progressive balance challenges.  This is always a group favorite activity and it allows me to individualize the challenges to each person's abilities.

Once the central nervous system is alive and ready, I encouraged everyone to increase their strength with my Basic 5 Lower Body Strengthening exercises.  And since you have to stretch what you strengthen, I ended the exercise routine with my Basic 5 Stretches.  And because all falls are accidents, I demonstrate how to get up from a fall.  I call this my "HELP, I've fallen and I CAN get up" demonstration.

The Basic 5 stretches are featured on my seated fall prevention exercise DVD series, Take 5 to Exercise.    All the other exercises, including the stretches, are featured in my book, The Complete Guide to Fall Prevention.  Order you copy today.  You can download it directly to your computer or you can order the hardcopy and I will ship it to you. 

Please contact me if you do not feel comfortable doing financial transactions online. 
My number is (916) 821-5715.

Remain independent.  Get moving.  Stay moving. 
Challenge your balance.

The Fall Prevention Lady

No comments: