Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Fall Prevention Lady joins forces with "San Mateo County Fall Prevention Task Force"

For the most part, I have been working as an independent contractor since my graduate studies at California State University, Sacramento began in 2002 where I focused on gerontology, therapeutic recreation and recreation therapy; specifically fall prevention and balance training for older adults.  

As the Fall Prevention Lady, I have worked for public, private and non-profit agencies in both Sacramento and Los Angeles regions and continue to expand my horizons.   I am now a "Master Trainer" and "Master Leader" in the evidence-based Stepping On fall prevention program, a published author of the "Complete Guide to Fall Prevention" and producer of the seated stretching and strengthening fall prevention DVD series, "Take 5 to Exercise". 

As much as I've enjoyed working independently, I am proud to announce my new position with the "San Mateo County Fall Prevention Task Force".  My duties as the health educator and fall prevention program coordinator include community outreach, program development, fall prevention education, grant writing and other necessary odds and ends associated with community-based programs designed to increase awareness of falls and how to reduce that risk in order to remain independent.    

The Task Force is not a service provider but functions to decrease falls among community dwelling older adults through advocacy, resource development and education.   This position will enable me to apply the skills I learned throughout my graduate studies while improving the quality of life for older adults.

Looking forward to doing big things within the San Mateo (and Sacramento) communitites.  Afterall, it takes a village to raise to child but it takes a community to prevent a fall.  

Yay team!  

No comments: