Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Private training client climbs stairs without assistance!

I have been doing in-home private training with a 79 year-old woman for 10 sessions and today she was able to walk up the stairs into her home without assistance. YAY! I am so excited about this milestone for Sue (name changed) because by regaining the ability to independently and confidently go up the stairs was the first step to her taking control of her life again.

As a fall prevention consultant in the Sacramento area, I was hired by Sue's brother and sister in-law after Sue fell going up these same stairs. Twice. Active and healthy, Sue's relatives knew something could be done to reduce the risk of another fall and contacted me. A thorough assessment not only enabled me to immediately form a therapeutic relationship with Sue but also to identify her limitations and strengths.

Sue was so de-conditioned from being stuck in the cycle of fear and sitting in her chair that she had to relearn how to move. We started with a consistent routine of the Basic 5 stretches and slowly added lower body strengthening exercises. Because Sue was terrified of falling again, we had to get Sue to believe in herself and the self-perceived benefits of exercise. This doesn't happen overnight however repetition of activities and repeated successful attempts fostered Sue's self confidence levels.

It was amazing to witness this transformation. Even though each visit got progressively more difficult, Sue made it look easier! She's a trooper. She's a fighter. She's a believer. After a temporary setback due to a blister on her diabetic ankle, Sue set realistic goals, put her head down and invested in her independence. I brought my resistance bands and I introduced her to my stepup. We broke out the soup cans. We laughed. We shared Starbucks. After 10 one-hour sessions, Sue walked up her stairs without the assistance of her helper.

Once reluctant to confirm the next appointment, Sue called me tonight to setup our next visit and to purchase 5 more sessions. She called me to thank me for teaching her how to walk up her stairs again. It was so beautiful to hear her say, "now I know where each foot goes and which foot gets the emphasis". Praise the Lord!

Sue decided to Take 5 to Exercise each day. When asked if she felt stronger, she said, "as much as I hate it, yes I do!". She loves her new strength and the glow in her face is beautiful. Invest in yourself. Invest in your independence. Get active and Take 5 to Exercise each day.

No comments: