Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fall Prevention season is here....

The weather is cooling off, leaves are beginning to change color, fall is in the air. September 21-28, 2008 is National Fall Prevention Week!!!! As the Fall Prevention lady, I am constantly talking about how to prevent falls and get some odd responses when asked what I do for a living, especially this time of year!

People's startled, if not dumbfounded reaction to my statement, "I specialize in Fall Prevention", indicates a sheer lack of knowledge about the severity of a fall and the life altering consequences a fall can have.

Getting out there and educating people about the need for consistent exercise in order to reduce the risk of a fall is what I do, and I love it. As a society, we need to increase awareness of the prevalence of falls. Accidents happen, and a fall is an accident, but a person can reduce the risk of an accident by staying active and increasing awareness of physical abilities and limitations.

I have found that most residential facilities offer exercise classes however most exercise classes do not include the 4 components of a thorough Fall Prevention routine. Staying up to date on physical fitness is the responsibility of the class instructor which is why my Take 5 to Exercise DVD series is an excellent educational tool for over-worked staff and would be an asset to all fitness video libraries.

I designed Take 5 to Exercise for those at home who may not have the ability (or desire) to join a class. It is especially important for these individuals to develop a consistent routine. One that is safe. One that is up-to-date, one that works! My Take 5 to Exercise program is all that!
HAPPY FALL PREVENTION WEEK!
Your Fall Prevention Lady

No comments: