Tuesday, September 2, 2008

LIFE WITHOUT LIMBS.....

And you think you have it bad?  
I have to tell you all about the most amazing guest speaker at my church this weekend: NICK VUJICIC.  This 25 year-old gentleman was born without arms or legs.  He is a walking, talking torso.   A person who has every right, every reason, to be angry, to be hateful, to be depressed.
But he is not.  In fact, NICK VUJICIC exudes gratitude for life.  He praises God for choosing him to share the message with the world that a life without purpose is a life without meaning and a life without meaning is a life without hope.  Sometimes hope is all we have to go on but keep that hope alive and no matter what,  your circumstances will get better.
Nick's message was inspiring and touched me deeply because like most, I sometimes take life for granted.  I may find myself getting upset about little things, feeling sorry for myself when bad times hit, or thinking I have it hard.  When I heard, and saw, Nick on stage, I realized that even on my worst day my life isn't so bad. 
But I would like to tell you that until I was saved by the grace of God in 2005, I had been feeling sorry for myself since I was 17 years old.  I am 40.  What caused this extended pity party?  The summer before my senior year in high school, July 31, 1985,  I was hit and run over by 2 cars.   
As a result of being dragged under the first car over 100 feet before being hit and run over by the second speeding car, I was comatose for 5 days.  Structurally, my left femur broke into 2 pieces and my pelvis was fractured on both sides after punching through my body.  Internally, my liver was lacerated, my right lung was punctured, and I lost over 20 feet of large intestine due to excessive bleeding.    I suffered severe road rash all over my body, especially my face.   The doctors didn't expect me to walk again, not to mention play basketball and I was lucky to be alive.   
Suddenly, the national Division I basketball scholarship offers were replaced with prayers and letters of condolence.  My dreams died but I lived.  I was hospitalized for 3 months, endured grueling 2-a-day sessions in Physical Therapy, had to learn to walk again, and wasn't allowed to look in the mirror for 8 weeks.  Skin grafts were fresh and half of my head was shaved.  But I still had all my teeth, not to mention all my faculties! 
But was I grateful?  At first, yes but because I was 17 and in scholarship-athlete shape, I thought I was invincible.  I didn't truly realize how lucky I was to have survived without severe consequences.  Although my classmates voted me as Homecoming Queen, I didn't feel beautiful.  The life I knew was shattered.   I was in a wheelchair, I was forming raised keloid scars all over my body, and I was totally dependent on my mother for my activities of daily living.  At 17, I was supposed to be becoming a young, independent adult.  
But like Nick, I had hope.  Through perserverance, determination, and the loving support of my family and basketball coach, Mr. White, I graduated to using a cane, then running around the track.  I distinctly remember limping around the track at 8 o'clock at night, after basketball practice, with my mom beside me.   I was grateful then. 
I kept my sights focused on playing basketball again.  And I did.  Radford University, a Division I school in Radford, VA, graciously offered me a full women's basketball scholarship.  I made it!  My hope, determination and physical efforts kept me going when there didn't seem to be a reason.  
What do you hope for?  What do you have your sights set on?  What are your goals?  If you want to get stronger and reduce the risk of falling, don't ever give up hope.   You can do it and I want to help you with my "Take 5 to Exercise" dvd series.  Let me coach you through the basics. 
Nick has set his mind on being the best servant he can be, glorifying God, and inviting others to realize how much Jesus loves them.  And this man doesn't have arms or legs.  No matter what your circumstance, be grateful for what you have.  I know I am.

The Fall Prevention Lady.

No comments: