Tuesday, July 12, 2011

FallProof™ recertification weekend

Falls are the leading cause of accidental death and injury for adults over the age of 65 (CDC, 2005). With more than 10,000 baby boomers turning 65 EACH DAY, something must be done to PREVENT these falls. Fall prevention researchers have demonstrated that participating in consistent exercise program is the number one way to reduce the risk of a fall. It's that easy.....Take 5 to Exercise each day.

FallProof™ balance and mobility program is one of the leading fall prevention programs in the country. Dr. Debra Rose's progressively challenging program begins with a thorough assessment which results in individualized programming in order to help each person maximally challenge her/his balance abilities safely. FallProof™ instructors are trained not only in these assessment procedures but also training principles.

Just as candidates for FallProof™ must meet specific criteria, so must FallProof™ instructors. Once a person is accepted into the online training program, she/he must go to the Fall Prevention Center of Excellence for a 3-day practical exam. During this time, potential instructors observe, practice and perform the tasks required for certification. Once a person is certified, she/he must meet minimum criteria within a two year period in order to be recertified.

I have met the requirements of recertification but will be observing the FallProof™ certification weekend at the Fall Prevention Center of Excellence because I love this program and want to learn more so I can be the best I can be. I am so excited about networking with other certified FallProof™ instructors from across the country; learning from their successes and failures and sharing my experiences teaching this fall prevention exercise program in the community.

Lastly, I am excited about working with new instructors. I was there and I know how it feels. I am sharing a room with a well-established fall prevention trainer from Portland and I am carpooling from Fresno with a PT student from CSUFresno. But mostly, I am looking forward to talking with Dr. Rose! She developed this amazing program and she is my mentor!

Nothing but GOOD THINGS will come from this weekend.
Thank you, Lord!

No comments: