Saturday, October 1, 2011

Class member practices balance training principle to avoid a fall

I just finished my first FallProof™ balance and mobility training session at Eskaton's Senior Connection in Fair Oaks, CA. The class was small but this fostered an intimate setting for participants. The ages ranged from 73 to 90 years of age and abilities were just as varied. Regardless of physical capability, everyone in the class improved on the three dimensions of senior fitness associated with fall risk in the 4-week training period.

One 85 year-old lady increased her dynamic balance and agility score by 3 seconds! Translated into understandable terms, she was able to get out the chair and walk around a cone quicker, more balanced and with more confidence that she could 4-weeks ago. Balance and agility require specific training to improve.

Another skill needed to prevent falls in everyday life is the ability to react to unexpected pushes, like when someone or something bumps into you. Case in point; on the last day of class, the lady mentioned above came in, sat down and told me she probably wouldn't be doing much in class because she got bumped into unexpectedly and her hip was hurting. I asked what happened and she told me that she was at the store and a hurried man accidentally bumped into her (with hard force). She said that SHE DID NOT FALL but her hip was sore.

I asked her to think about what she just said. She had prevented a fall by applying the training skills we had covered the second week of class. She smiled and said, "yeah, I did prevent a fall, didn't I?". YAY!

Strength, flexibility, endurance and balance training. Four important components of a fall prevention program. Join me at home in strengthening and stretching exercises with my Take 5 to Exercise DVD series or if you're in Sacramento, join me in one of my community-based balance and mobility training programs. YOU CAN DO IT.

The Fall Prevention Lady

No comments: