Thursday, October 27, 2011

Where has the Fall Prevention Lady been?

Wow! I can't believe this month is almost over. I've been busy teaching balance and mobility classes, presenting fall prevention workshops, participating in senior health fairs and doing private, in-home fitness training. I absolutely love what I do and I am grateful that I am busy. Being an independent contractor, my job is much more than teaching the classes; I have to maintain individual files, market my services, write blogs, and follow-up with everyone!

As this year comes to an end, I am transitioning from offering 4-week balance and mobility training sessions to 6-week sessions. I have decided to do this due to feedback from class evaluations. Participants love this program and want to continue balance and mobility training. I encourage anyone to repeat the beginner level however the 6-week program will better prepare participants for the next level. Because FallProof™ is a 12-week program, I will offer beginner and advanced levels.

I have started to implement this format change and participants are excited. The 6-week session requires a greater commitment; both of time and money. However when a person considers the value of her/his independence, committing to a 6-week program is an investment. I have a group of older adults in South Sacramento who cannot wait until the next session begins and I am working with a group of adults in Folsom who already signed up for the advanced level! WOO-HOO. When they get it, they really GET it!

Although my ultimate goal to help as many seniors as there are stars in the sky, I have a minimum number of participants required to hold a class. Due to travel expenses and the value of what I am teaching, I have a 7 person minimum. Word of mouth is one of the best forms of advertisement with my population and I am reaching out to new locations in Sacramento. The challenge is some areas are more receptive to new training techniques than others. Thus, there have been some changes in class locations.

So far, for the month of November, I WILL BE teaching classes at Fremont Presbyterian (Sac State)Carmichael Presbyterian (Carmichael), St. John's Retirement Village (Woodland), Creekside Oaks Retirement Community (Folsom), and Parkside Community Church (South Sac). I will offer one more session at the Senior Connection (Fair Oaks) if enough participants express interest after my November 2nd workshop.
I WILL NOT be teaching classes at the Asian Community Center (Pocket area), the Swanston Community Center (near Sac State) or the Consumes Service District (Elk Grove).

Visit my website, The Fall Prevention Lady, to view my class schedule. There is a cost for training. Invest in your future. Your independence is worth it. See you in class.

The Fall Prevention Lady

No comments: