Monday, April 18, 2011

Fall prevention spokesperson

During my fall prevention exercise research study, I had the opportunity to meet some of the most dynamic older adults in my life. In fact, each one of my 30 study participants touched me in a very special way and I hope to keep in touch with each one over the years. There is one lady who just makes my heart smile. She was the first person in the study group, the first to complete the three levels of the FallProof™ at Home series and she demonstrated the most significant improvement in post-testing.
While walking to the gym today, I stopped in to visit my "protege". She calls herself my protege because the quality of her life has improved so much since participating in my fall prevention research study. At 83 years of age, this woman looks fabulous! Her posture has improved dramatically and she exudes an effervescent glow. She feels so good that she's going to visit a high school friend in Palms Spring this year. She was beaming as she told me about the two male 60-somethings that now sit with her during meals. She is confident, she is strong, she is thriving. She is truly the result of compliance to a professionally designed program designed to reduce the risk of falls. I LOVE HER!
The good news is she continues to follow along with the FallProof™ at Home and my Take 5 to Exercise DVDs. She said that she absolutely loves her Take 5 for Flexibility DVD and that was her favorite until I gave her the Take 5 for Posture DVD. She loves it and says she talks to me everyday while exercising!
As I talked to her in her apartment, I couldn't help but notice the view of the capitol building across the street. A light went on in my head: this woman attributes her well-being and current state of health to the FallProof™ balance and mobility DVDs and my Take 5 for Flexibility DVD. As an advocate for older adults, I envision this lady speaking to legislators about the benefits of a regular exercise. The beauty of it is that my Take 5 to Exercise program and Dr. Rose's FallProof at Home series are senior exercise videos that are available on DVD for use at home. This type of fall prevention program not only works but is also affordable.

Planting political seeds in Sacramento?
The Fall Prevention Lady

No comments: