Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Time to move?

Back in the early 2000s, I was a caregiver for a motorcycle racing legend, Paul Albrecht. Paul defined Harley Davidson and the classic 'bad boy' image associated with motorcycles. Paul lost his hearing due to the loud pipes but that didn't stop him from living alone until the age of 86. I used to sit and write with him for hours. He was a classic and I grew fond of Paul.

Several months ago at one of my fall prevention workshops, a man introduced himself and said he recognized me from Paul's funeral. Ray was a referee on the motorcycle circuit back in the day and he knew Paul well. Ray is 96 years old, exercises daily, still sharp as a tack, witty as a rant, and yes, he still drives!

Last week, Ray showed up at my community-based FallProof™ class. However he didn't come to exercise. He wanted to talk. At lunch, Ray he told me that he is getting weaker and it's scaring him. Ray lives alone and has never had a problem doing what he wants to do when he wants to do it. I reassured him that feeling weak was par for the course for a 96 year old man. I asked what I could do....

Ray is extremely prepared for the end of life. He has made all the big decisions; where he will live when he needs assistance, who will sell his house, and how his money will be distributed. But he's not there yet. He still lives alone in a big house. His niece in Arizona is ready for him but having lived in Sacramento for 96 years, he's not ready for Arizona. How is a 96 year old man supposed to get rid of stuff, lots of stuff in an organized manner?

As a recent member of Serving Our Seniors, I have met two ladies who have companies that assist older adults and families in downsizing and relocating; Smooth Transitions and Getting It Together In Sacramento. At today's Older Adult Collaborative meeting, I spoke with each lady and they both recognized the sensitivity of this issue. Ray has history in his home and Ray has pride. The biggest step was his expressing his concern. It is up to me to connect him to the appropriate resource. I will give Ray both numbers and let him decide.

The moral? Prepare. Make your plans but mostly, be sensitive to your limitations. You will know when it's time to move. You don't have to do it alone....Seek out a local relocating company to assist with the move. That's what they're there for!

No comments: