Monday, August 8, 2011

Person living with disability praises benefits of fall prevention exercise

At 65 years of age, she is the youngest person in this class. Although she is the baby of the group, she is living with disabilities that challenge her balance more than her older classmates' conditions. After 3 weeks of balance and mobility training, everyone in the group is showing marked improvement however today this lady (I'll call her Wendy) stayed after class to talk with me about her balance.

Living with essential tremor and dystonia, this remarkable woman is completely aware of her balance problems and the need to engage in a consistent fall prevention program in order to stop falling. Wendy has been front row for every session, soaking up the information and practicing each exercise with intense concentration and focused determination. She said the class was challenging but it was exactly what she needed to help understand her condition and how it affects her balance.

Wendy was all smiles today as she told me how her neighbors have commented on her improved posture during her daily walks. She said that this class has taught her how her posture is directly related to her balance and the things she must do in order to prevent another fall. In my Take 5 for Posture seated fall prevention exercise DVD series, I demonstrate some of the exact exercises that have benefited Wendy so much. I know it's not the same as having me there in person to correct you but I do a pretty good job on the DVD and you will do fine following along.

One of the most important things Wendy is doing to reduce the risk of another fall is to continue her balance and mobility training program. I will be teaching both a beginner and an intermediate level class at her church however she is deciding to repeat the beginner level. I think this is great because even I learn something new each session. She is determined to improve her balance skills and by making the time to Take 5 to Exercise each day, she will! Praise the Lord.

No comments: