Monday, April 30, 2012

Pacific Chapter of the Neuropathy Association presentation

I am preparing for tomorrow's presentation for the Pacific Chapter of Neuropathy Association at the Woodland Community and Senior Center.  I will be speaking from 1:30-2:30 and I am excited about educating members of this support group about how to reduce the risk of an accidental fall.

As part of the natural aging process, we lose the ability to feel the ground under our feet.  A person living with (peripheral) neuropathy has lost that ability times ten.  Imagine how difficult it must be to remain balanced if you can't feel the ground under your feet?

The good news is that there are balance training techniques and fall prevention exercises that can significantly reduce the risk of a fall, especially for people with neuropathy.  I am looking forward to this presentation;  education is empowering and hope is my message.

The Fall Prevention Lady,
Kelly Ward



No comments: