Saturday, March 9, 2013

USC Caregivers Are Learning More (C.A.L.M.) Telephone Series

I am a member of the Southern California Fall Prevention Coalition.  To me, this is where it all began; Dr. Debra Rose, Dr. John Pynoos, The Center for Successful Aging, The Fall Prevention Center of Excellence, USC Andrus Gerontology program, and other senior service agencies that are active in the prevention of falls among the aging population in the greater Los Angeles region.

Yesterday I received the email I had been waiting for; three opportunities to contribute to community fall prevention events!  I immediately responded and will be hosting the Fall Prevention Coalition booth at the Senior Awareness Fair at Our Lady of Malibu Church in Malibu on April 7th and El Segundo's 2nd Annual Community Wellness Day Fair on June 1st.    Yay, out and about spreading the word in SoCAL!!!! 

On Friday March 15, I will be the featured speaker for USC's Caregivers Are Learning More (C.A.L.M.) Telephone Series.   From noon-1pm, I will be talking to busy caregivers (some of them adult children) about common fall risk factors and how to reduce those risks.  I will talk about basic exercises that fall prevention researchers recommend to improve balance and how to modify and advance these exercises to meet individual needs.

The need to educate busy caregivers about how to care for a person after a fall became strikingly evident after my grandmother fell last month.  Suddenly my uncles and mother were faced with the reality of caring for a parent after a fall; the strong parent now exuding feelings of vulnerability and mortality and buried dynamics of guilt, anger and fear.  

This ticking time bomb must be dealt with and the best time is before the explosion.  However life doesn't happen like that.  In America, we wait for an accident to happen and then we scramble to pick up the pieces.  I am so excited about sharing my knowledge about falls and how to reduce the risk of an accident with the family caregiver network at USC.  I highly recommend my book, The Complete Guide to Fall Prevention, as a supplement to my presentation and a guide for all family members to read BEFORE, or after, an accident. 

Fall Prevention researchers recommend increased awareness of fall risk factors and engagement in a consistent exercise program that includes four different types of exercise, including increased postural awareness.

Order my book today and arm yourself and your family, with the tools to avoid the aftermath of a fall.  Rest assured knowing you are doing what evidence supports to keep your loved one safe.

Spreading the word.
The Fall Prevention Lady

Follow my page on Facebook:  The Fall Prevention Lady






No comments: