Thursday, March 7, 2013

Most adult children don't know how to care for parent after a fall

People often ask me why I choose to specialize in the prevention of falls among the elderly or why I am fascinated with the effects of aging on the balance system.   Am I a physical therapist?  Am I a personal fitness trainer?  A nurse?  Did a family member fall?    The answers are no, yes, no, yes (respectively) but the reason I am passionate about fall prevention is because that is my gift, my calling, from God.

Two weeks ago, my 90 year-old grandmother fell and broke her collar bone.   She doesn't remember what caused her fall and was released with her left arm in a sling.  My uncle Jerry, a retired District Attorney with a private practice, lives nearby and is watching her at her home.   Like most professionals with a family, he is not sure how to care for someone after a fall.  Like most adult children, he is unaware of factors that can increase the risk of a fall.

Two days after my grandmother returned home, she fell again.   Luckily, Jerry was there but the fact that she fell on "his watch" was upsetting to both him and to my grandmother.  She felt unsafe and he felt guilty, if not incompetent, to care for his own mother.  When my mom went to visit, she immediately scheduled a family phone consultation with her daughther, The Fall Prevention Lady.

Over the speaker, I talked about what I know best; things that increase the risk of a fall such as things you can change an the things you need to be aware of, what I recommend talking to your doctor about, how to reduce these risk factors and the types of exercises that can improve balance and stability. 

My uncle furiously took notes and subsequently made necessary phone calls and doctor appointments.  After a review of medications, we discovered that my grandmother was taking four prescriptions that significantly depressed her central nervous system.   Like many older adults, my grandmom likes her night cap however the combination of four CNS depressants and alcohol intensified confusion, drowsiness, dizziness, and thus, the risk of a fall.

Modifications have been made to both her medication management and home environment so now my grandmother can concentrate on her recovery and my uncle can feel confident that he is doing everything he can do to keep his mother safe.  My uncle is a brilliant man who is respected in his field but he had no idea how to keep his mother safe after a fall.  He is not alone; adult children cannot be expected to know how to care for a parent who fell unless they have an idea of things that cause falls and how to reduce that risk.

I had sent copies of my book, The Complete Guide to Fall Prevention, but most people are too busy to read about prevention until it's too late.   Don't delay!  Read my book and use the information when necessary.  Or if you prefer a live conversation with an expert to help deal with the after effects of a fall, I am available for family consultations (for a fee).  I am here to help.

Kelly Ward,
The Fall Prevention Lady
(916) 821-5715

Find my page on Facebook:  The Fall Prevention Lady

No comments: