Saturday, November 1, 2008

I'm IN, Therapeutic Aging, watch out!

  Ok, I got the news:  I have been accepted to California State University at Sacramento to pursue a Specialized major, one I created, a Master of Science in Therapeutic Aging!  I am so excited because my thesis will be studying my Take 5 to Exercise program within local settings, maybe even the Veteran's Administration.  
I will begin graduate school in January and finish one year later, Spring 2010.  Wow, 2010 and my life will just begin.  See, it's never too late to start something.  I will be 42 years old when I get my Masters and my professional career finally takes off.  Being an older student has it's benefits though.  I have done the wild and crazy freshmen stuff.  I have been married (and divorced).  I have discovered my spiritual gifts.  I know what I am passionate about and what I could care less about.  
I want you to ask yourself the same things.  Are you living the life you want to live?  Are you doing what you can to make the most out of life?  I realize, and respect, the changes that a person faces during the aging process:  the body slows down, years and years of poor choices add up, reality sets in.  We are not who we used to be, we have new limitations.  
But life is meant to be lived.  Challenges occur, adjustments are made, life goes on.  There's nothing easy about getting older, it's tough but in order to be the best you can be, it's critical that you maintain your body.  The basics:  stretch, strengthen, practice good posture, maintain the little muscles, challenge your balance.  
The basics that can be done while seated in your chair.  Senior exercise videos are everywhere but be careful.  I want you to learn from someone who is passionate about helping people reduce the risk of a fall.  Someone who has studied fall prevention exercises.  Someone who teaches seated exercise routines regularly.  
Do you know what is truly important to you? If you value independence, order my Take 5 to Exercise fall prevention dvd series and live the life you want.

The Fall Prevention Lady, 
soon to be Master Ward!

No comments: