Monday, December 10, 2018

4 Balance Training Myths for people over 60; Make sure you're not doing #3!

Balance is an essential skill that we learn as children and take for granted as adults.  Suddenly you're 73 and realize, "wow, I can't walk a straight line anymore (and I'm sober)!"

Many people don't realize how complex balance is or the amount of body systems communication that is required to stay upright.

I'm going to bust 4 common myths about balance in hopes of increasing awareness of what you can do to improve your balance and prevent a fall.

Here we go:

1.  I have to stand on one leg to improve my balance... unfortunately, the "old" litmus test for one's balance was the ability to stand on one leg.  My client Bob said to me,' my balance is failing'.  I asked, 'How do you know?'.  He answered, 'I can't stand on one leg'.  I've been teaching balance and mobility training classes for over fifteen years and I've only seen about 20 people who could stand on one leg.  Your feet are your base of support and the wider the base, the more stable you are.  The ability to stand on one leg is the most challenging position and there are so many progressions to work through to get there.  Although that may be a goal, standing on one leg does not measure balance.
2.  I  need to train on uneven surfaces like a wobble board, foam pad or  BOSU.  It cracks me up when I see trainers put their older adult clients on wobble boards or the half dome BOSU to train balance.  That's insanity!!!  The SAID principle states that your body gets good at whatever you practice.  If you practice standing on a wobble board, guess what you're going to get good at?  Standing on a wobble board.  How does that help you in real life???  While it's true that standing on an uneven surface will strengthen your ankles, there's no long-term benefit to standing on a wobble board.  Don't waste your money or time trying to stand or squat on a BOSU ball or wobble board.
3.  I walk and that's all I need to do to improve my balance.  BIG FALSE.  There are four components of fitness associated with good balance; flexibility, strength, endurance and posture.  Steady balance requires a combination of these four training techniques. Walking is an excellent exercise but it's primarily an endurance activity.  You want to follow a balance program that includes strengthening exercises, flexibility movements, and posture training for the best balance possible.  Research studies demonstrate that walking alone does not improve balance and prevent falls. 
4.  It doesn't matter where I look when walking, standing or doing exercise.  It's painful for me to watch some group fitness classes for older adults because the instructor doesn't give one cue about where to look. Nor do personal trainers in the gym.  So many of the older adults I meet tell me they have to look at the floor so they don't fall down.  WRONG!!!  This downward stare not only affects your posture and but also limits your ability to react to obstacles in your pathway.

I've created an online course,
"Balance Training 101: Brain-based Program to Do at Home so You Can Stay at Home", where I share some of my best balance training tips and techniques so you can stay at home.

One of the best features is the exercise video library for you to watch so you forget what to do.   This course makes it easy for you to train your balance at home so you can stay at home.  No special equipment needed; just a desire to improve balance.

Yours in Fitness and Balance~
The Fall Prevention Lady

No comments: