Monday, July 30, 2012

Stepping On Fall Prevention Training

I'm headed to Madison, Wisconsin today for a 3-day training in the fall prevention program, Stepping On.  The California Department of Public Health is sponsoring me to become educated in this national award winning program that combines education, exercise and assessment as a multifactorial approach to reducing the number of falls among older adults who live in the community.

Just as there are numerous causes for falls, a person must do more than one thing to reduce the risk of falling.  Exercise is by the most effective way but an education about what causes falls is also necessary.  In my book, The Complete Guide to Fall Prevention, I do just that; I educate about fall risks and then demonstrate the different types of exercise a person must do to remain independent.

I am looking forward to becoming certified to instruct the Stepping On program and hope this leads to future employment with the California Department of Public Health and Area 4 Agency on Aging...or maybe a position in Wisconsin!  Good things are going to happen and I am willing to go wherever I am needed.

Praise God for this opportunity!
The Fall Prevention Lady

No comments: