Thursday, March 29, 2018

You mean all I have to do to move better is stare at my finger?

I'm teaching my third "Brains and Balance Training with Coach Kelly" session at The Retreat in a Del Webb community.  As with all my classes, I love getting to know the participants, their struggles, their strengths and mostly watching their balance improve.

In this class, I'm blessed to have an older couple in their early 90s.  My youngest participant is 66.  That's quite an age span as well as a difference in ability levels but that's the challenge facing older adult fitness instructors like myself.  Having different ability levels in one class is definitely a challenge but this is a manageable class size and overall, everyone is near the same ability.

Brain-based training is definitely trending right now; anything "neural" is a hot item due to the science of neuroplasticity.  Neuroplasticity proves that the brain can change and adapt to become more efficient.  The question is HOW do I train the brain's neuroplasticity?    As an Exercise Therapist and Brain Practitioner, I use proven methods to 'reduce threat' to the brain for improved performance.

After two weeks of brain-based training, the entire class is doing amazing, especially the older couple.  I love when people come to my presentations and are 'dis-believers"or 'naysayers'.  I love it because change happens at the speed of the nervous system (immediate) so when I have them do a vision drill and then reassess, they cannot believe the difference!

The other day in class,  Bob, my 91-year old participant, said rather loudly, you mean to tell me that all I have to do to move better is stare at my finger?  We all laughed and said, yep!  The power of  visual input is beyond amazing.  My tag line, "it's not magic, it's neuroscience" is true.  It's absolutely amazing to see how the body responds after a 'high payoff' drill.

Another gentleman, age 66, chimed in, "I was a total disbeliever until we did the pencil push-ups; now I believe what you're teaching".  Another gentleman, age 83, said, "I consider myself logical, even linear in thought but I do not understand how this is happening so I"m just going to trust you Kelly" and then he smiled.

That's golden to me!  Trust me friends, this is good.  This is real good.  I've pretty much dedicated my entire life to improving balance and reducing falls among older adults because there is hope; movement is life.  As an evolving neuro-practitioner, I am even more passionate about sharing the techniques I've learned about the brain and improving movement, balance and vision while reducing pain.

I'm not going to change who you are.  Brain training doesn't make you a different person but it does help you gain control over your body and mind which only helps you live better longer!


No comments: